Thursday, June 17, 2010

Zebra jacket - on its maiden voyage!

Here I am wearing my newest creation - a linen jacket made using Vogue 7610.  (I love it!)

I made the same alterations recently discovered -ie  my adjustments.  I am so happy to know what my usual adjustments are.  This is silly, but I used to get jealous when I read someone else refer to her usual FBA or her usual swayback adjustment.  I just could not figure out what the heck was making my clothes fit so weird.  And I had these fitting issues in RTW as well as commercial sewing patterns.
But now I know!
I cut the shoulders narrow to match my shoulder length which is 4.5" or so.
The from the armpits down, I'm OK - it's my shoulders that need fitting.  I also noticed that the adjustment amount was a lot less on this Vogue (Sanda Betzina) pattern than Kwik Sew.

How did I learn my usual adjustments?  My basic patterns from Bernina My Label pattern making software.  I have used those basic patterns to death.  I also use them to alter commercial patterns.



I'll add shoulder pads and that will help, but it's nice that I can get by without shoulder pads, too.
No fancy Hong Kong seam finishes- I was lucky I had time to serge it.  And I was a little short on fabric so I used Bemberg rayon lining for some of the inner pieces.  Next time, I'll use heavier thread for top-stitching, but this time I just used what I had on hand. 
doing the happy dance here!!

27 comments:

  1. Bravo to you for finding the right fit for you. You look great in you chic jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! You're making me want zebra print things now....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks wonderful on you! I am so jealous of YOU because I can't figure out my regular adjustments yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tres chic! You look wonderful. One of these days, I get serious about fitting adjustments, measurements, etc. But for right now, I'll continue alter as I sew.
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! Your topstitching looks perfect too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see why you would be doing a happy dance :) everything looks wonderful on you. I love the print of the jacket, it really does look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful top stitching!!! You did a great job on this jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh! How fab-U-lous is that? Serious jacket envy from England. Love ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful jacket! I love an animal print. It looks terrific over your dress.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Your matching is CRAZY good!!
    :)Deb M.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the jacket and your matching is fantastic. So glad you have found your regular adjustments.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a huge fan of black and white. Great jacket and the whole look is to be congratulated.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a truly fabulous jacket. So perfect for summer. Great job on the topstiching - it really makes the jacket look RTW.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look awesome in this jacket! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your jacket, you look great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on working out your fitting changes. I hope I will get there some day!
    Those pockets are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the fun zebra and it looks so good on you. Congrats on getting to your "usuals" ... it's a long process, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Robin, that is so pretty on you! I just love a zebra print. And, yes, congrats on figuring out your "usuals"! Sure makes life a lot easier when you know what to look for. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's gorgeous!! I love the back and that top stitching is great too. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an amazing new jacket you've made--everything about it is perfect!!! It's also great that you've standardized your "usual" adjustments.

    Karen aka Karendee

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your jacket is GREAT! I love the bold fabric and the great fit! You've sewn the perfect jacket!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great jacket! I just got a similar fabric; thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can see why you are so happy with your jacket, it is beautiful! I really love that pocket detail.
    Thankyou for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Absolute beautiful work. It looks very good on you. The black skirt is just the right combination. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo