Saturday, June 12, 2010

Jalie 2793 and a knit from Gorgeous Fabrics

Here is my version of Jalie 2793 made from a knit from Gorgeous Fabrics.  At first, I intended to sew another cardigan but, when I clicked on the link, I noticed Ann had paired a basic black knit with the print and I decided to sew myself a dress with black trim.  I've wanted one for a long time and it seems like they are still in style, so I went for it.

You know how it is when you are shopping, if one piece is good, two are better!! So I also purchased this black and white print.  I intend to make another Jalie 2793 now that I've got the pattern adjusted.
The alterations were very similar to the alterations I did for the New Look 6559 cardigan.  For Jalie, it looks like I need a lotta length.  I added TWO inches to the armscye on the back piece and one inch on the front.  I sloped the front shoulder by about 1/2" and used the sleeve from my TNT t-shirt pattern.  I should be lighting firecrackers here to celebrate.  I finally know how to alter commercial patterns to get a decent fit!  How long did it take?  I wanna say 3 years?  LOL, that's OK!!

And guess what?! I am so excited because I have a reason to play violin.  We are having a talent show at work (yeah, that's kinda weird, isn't it?) and I did a "reply all" on the email announcement asking other musicians to contact me.  I promptly heard from a bagpiper (seriously), a trumpeter, a harpist and a guitarist.The harpist and I have already identified a piece we both know, so I think this is a go!  And my conversation with the guitarist was promising, too.  Not sure about the bagpipes, though.  It was a joy to play again. 
Life is good.



11 comments:

  1. Life is good, and so is your dress. I've recently been switched on to Jalie patterns. They are masterful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the dress, the print and the black accent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing the secret lives of people when we really look. And pretty dress, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty dress! Enjoy playing your violin. My husband plays trumpet in concert bands, and just loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE LOVE LOVE the dress. Really like how you took a top and made it into a dress. Looks fabulous. RuthieK

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have just been wanting one, too. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Robin! Your dress is super cute and exactly how I pictured it. The black and white print is also really pretty.

    This is the dress I am currently living in: http://www.target.com/Mossimo-Supply-Juniors-Cross-Dress/dp/B0038Q8ZBY/ref=br_1_34?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=1&searchView=grid5&searchNodeID=1252520011&node=1252520011&sr=1-34&searchRank=pmrank&searchPage=1&sessionID=192-3634104-3482941&searchSize=60&qid=1276440618

    I bought one in olive green. cannot argue with the price!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Robin - that is a beautiful dress and you look marvelous in it! Good luck with the talent show!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The dress is gorgeous. Re: your comment on SG, short is fun, hubby is right.

    How fun to have a reason to play the violin and what fun to find new "play mates". I love it when I discover that I have a common interest with someone I know. Of course, I'm always looking for women that sew the way that I do. YES YES. Music is a great second.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo