Saturday, May 8, 2010

A Sewing Island

Yeah, aqua seas, sandy beaches and a gentle breeze would be nice ...

but how about this?!

Like a kitchen has an island, how about a sewing room with an island!

Imagine these two units set up back-to-back as one sewing island:
















I would make mine taller and I'd cover the whole top with a self-healing cutting mat.  I am not sure I'd really need the airlift for the machine.  I imagine I'd prefer 48" or even 60"  deep so I could do all my cutting on this table.  Bonus, more storage cubbies on all 4 sides!

I am hooked on Knock-Off Wood where folks make all kinds of great projects.  This is pretty advanced though.  Yesterday I saw several kitchen cabinets at IKEA in the "As-Is" section ... and ... you know, it could be done!!

Oh here is another gadget I want - a Kreg Jig.
OK, off to the sewing room.
Hope you are humming along in your world and thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

  1. Oh I would love to have a sewing island...lol@the "as-is" section in IKEA, that's the first place I look whenever I go there and yes they always have a cabinet or two in that section, what a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want one of those sewing islands too and have been checking out the ikea kitchen cabinets for the same reason...*sigh*...all I need is for someone to vacate my sewing room...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what i wouldn't give for a decent cutting table and some sewing space.. I've only been sewing for a year but i'm already dreaming of my own sewing room with a nice big cutting table.. ironing corner.. dress form and a table for sewing machine and serger...and some shelfs for books...and a nice big window with a relaxing view...ahhhh

    ReplyDelete
  4. have you tried making anything, with timber that is? I'm trying to get up my courage to try one of Anna's projects. I've got a trestle table, which is good, but something classier would be lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought about the same thing but not actually making it. (I dont beleive I could do that!!) Cant wait to see what you come up with. I just thought about buying from Ikea ofcourse, the Aneboda (from a fellow blogger) dresser probably two (for my patterns) and making somekind of shelving unit find in odds and ends and constructing some sort of table above it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.