So I am using DD Laura's former bedroom for my cutting table these days. It's a little bit pink. Anyhooooo, my niece's prom dress is coming along nicely. The lining is stretch silk charmeuse (the one closer to the wall) and the dress fabric is a mystery fabric that came in a bundle from Michael's. It is a wonderful fabric with stretch that would have been pants for me if there had been enough. It will be the perfect rockabilly dress for Maggie.
The very first thing I did was check shoulder seams. They needed to come foward a full inch! The fit was really pretty good, and I just pinned out all wearing ease. Because the pattern had a sleeve and the dress design is sleeveless, it needed an extra dart in the armscye, which I rotated to the side dart. The waist was level (good!) and it needed to come down 5/8".
I pinned out the side seams and removed big vertical slices at the darts closest to center back. I added a dart to the shouder seam and marked a slight swayback type adjustment just below the shoulder blades. Transferring the fitting adjustments back to the pattern took a few hours.
Then I cut the dress and located a good tutorial for the lining. I have a book by Connie Long about linings that is very good. I noticed the link to Amazon says it's $134! That has got to be a typo. My copy was $19.95. Next I will sew the neckline and armscyes, then pull through the shoulder. I hope it works! I want to sew sheath dresses for summer for myself.
I ordered this wonderful madras patchwork from Gorgeous Fabrics. It is very sunshine-y!
And good news for the USPS- I set up a click & ship account and filled in the shipping label before mailing the sequin dress today. No cussing, either!