Sunday, March 28, 2010

Sequins and pants

Over the last week I've sewn a pair of pants and continued work on the sequin dress.  The pants took about 3 hours to sew and I am not keeping track of time spent picking sequins! 
(You wouldn't either, it you were doing this :)

The dress is 98% complete now.  Too bad I won't have any photos of the dress being worn by my daughter until some vague time in the future.  I sure am curious! 

This fabric was totally crazy to work with.  Not hard, just time consuming.  I picked out stitches from the back with the seam ripper to create a 3/8" seam allowance. 

Then I snipped off the clear thread from the front. It's like very fine fishing line.

Fortunately, it doesn't seem the sequins will come off even when the threads are snipped very close.
To stabilize the neckline and armholes, I sewed narrow clear elastic using the zig-zag. 
At the start of seam, it was pretty finicky and wanted to get sucked down, so I reduced the pressure on the presser foot to zero.  I held the tails of the thread taut and started and started an inch in from the edge.  Having this elastic caught in the edge when I folded it over made for a nice stable edge.  I hand-stitched the folded-over edge.

So, yeah, there are sequins everywhere now :)

I also sewed a pair of cotton twill pants in a nice neutral gray.  I went without any stretch this time and I re-washed multiple times in hot water & hot dryer to pre-shrink.  They do need to be touched up with an iron and they do get pleasantly baggy as the day goes on.  Comfort was the top priority here.  I can't recall whether I ever posted this top.  I cut this before I went to Korea and sewed it when I got back. I love this pattern and this fabric; a super-stretchy and soft cotton jersey.

That's all for now!  Today is my birthday and I turned 53.  So far, I like it just fine.
Happy Sewing!

31 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! I hope you have a wonderful year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Robin, many happy returns! You look just ever so lovely: relaxed, casual, totally into your own space. Your Korean Adventure was awesome to read about, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday!! I think birthdays are extremely exciting!! I am glad you have had a nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday! You must have amazing patience (and an amazing vacuum cleaner I hope!) to deal with that sequin fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday and all the best wishes, Sena

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday! Can't wait to see the sequin dress, even if only on a hanger.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy belated Birthday! I hope your day was joyous. Enjoy your
    50s because those years will fly, and the 60s come up quickly. And, they are fine too.

    You did a lot of sewing. Nice pants and top. Sequins--wow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Belated Happy Birthday. I hope you have a fabulous year.

    - Myrna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday!!
    Hope you had a great day.

    I love the detail photos on the dress work. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Robin, happy, happy birthday! Love what you've done with that fabric for the dress; it's working out great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday - hope you had a great day !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday! You look fabulous and full of joy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday, you young thing you! You are looking FANTASTIC so yes, you should be happy! Seems like you have been more scarce lately so hope your busy time is over or close to it? More time for sewing and blogging, maybe? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have created a look that is totally right for you! As far as we can tell from the blog, at least. Inspiring! What pants pattern is that. The legs are just right - not too tight, not flared. Wonder where the "waist" is? At 51, I don't want hip huggers (did that) but enjoy a slightly lower waistline.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Belated Birthday.
    I love the picture in your blog header. Reminds me of my cutting table...full of stuff.
    Your blog is interesting and I likethe detail you show of your projects.
    Living on the beach in Mexio means unconstructed clothing, cool fabrics, and the frustration of not being able to just dash out for a notion or fabric. When I am in the US I spend days shopping for everything from needles to interfacing to fabric and patterns.
    It is usually a concentrated frenzy.
    I only just started following sewing blogs..and it is helping me learn about new products and to see women sewing for themselves.
    I'll be back. and I hope you will visit my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.