Saturday, February 13, 2010

what I sewed, while it snowed

February did not appear to have much sewing time, but that all changed when the blizzard hit (and we lost Comcast for several days).  I just lost myself in sewing, reading, yoga and quality time with hubby (and now he's doing yoga, too!!)
I drafted a knit top inspired by Hot Patterns HP 1021 Riviera Annisette Dress & Top.  When I draft a new pattern, I trace a copy of my TNT t-shirt pattern.  I use lightweight craft paper that is practically transparent, so it's quick and easy.  Then I chop, rotate dart, tape paper together, true lines & sew.  I don't sew muslins when I work this way.  I figure using the TNT is good enough and I will wear whatever I make. 

The design features were chosen to complement my particular shape.  I tried to make the neckline and the vertical seam at the points where my "best necklines" go, according to Imogen.  I added lots of volume to the sleeve heads since I have slight shoulders.  The hem at high hip helps balance the height between upper body and lower body.  Periwinkle RPL fabric from Christine Jonson.

The pants are inspired by Christine Jonson Travel Trio One - 1204.  Fabric from JaneM who doesn't need winter fabrics anymore :-) and it's a doubleknit of some sort. 

I liked this so much I cut out 2 more versions of it using fabric from A Fabric Place.  Here is the back view my dark teal knit. In this version I reduced volume in the sleeve head, but I like it both ways:
The gray jersey version is nearly complete, too.  Must move on to a new style!  I think I may pull SWAP out of these pieces yet.  But first, I need to pick up a few things.  And I think I'll go to Dongdaemun for that ;0
*happy sewing!*

18 comments:

  1. Your snow days were very productive. I love your tops, the colors suit you as does the style and the fit. "You done real good" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely tops, and nice pants. You sew some very nice pieces :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful way to spend some quality time! And I love the new tops!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific tops! You wear them well!
    vtmartha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous! Very flattering and great design. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great top. You wear it well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I might have to throw some $$ her way too...

    Have fun with your daughter! You're going to leave all your old not-your-favorite clothes there, right, and bring a suitcase full of fabric back home?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its funny I was looking at one of my daughter's t-shirts today that has a similar cut to yours and thought I'd like one like this. Might try your pattern or draft my own. Looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very flattering! I can't believe you drafted the pattern yourself - nice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great top and if I haven't said before love the new hair, the shorter skirts and the new look. Really looking very pretty and hip these days. Love the pants too, did you use the CJ pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look fantastic all the way around!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice - the top is cute and the proportions look really good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Psssst! you've been tagged. Follow this link to play - it's a quick little game: http://straightjacketmuse.blogspot.com/2010/02/maricou-ma-taggee-ive-been-tagged.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice job - looks like you had fun on your snow days!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's the kind of top I'd want to have in about 8 colors! It's very nice!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo