I sewed this skirt a few years ago out of unusual paisley tapestry fabric by designer Roberto Cavalli. I used Bernina My Label for the pattern. Yesterday I set out to hem it, and I wound up taking it completely apart to do it right. Here it is on the work table, wrong side up.
I wish I had a clear "before" photo but honestly it was too embarassing to even consider documenting just how unflattering it was. But I had a feeling this skirt could be saved if I put it back together using better construction choices. It needed an underlining. I had some cream colored silk organza in my stash, so I cut and basted it to the skirt. I sewed long diagonal stitches to keep the organza attached in the field.
I originally sewed the waistband with a facing- and that was too bulky so I tossed it in the trash. In its place, I applied a narrow twill tape to the waistband. It is positioned to lie just below the seam line when the lining is attached.
I cut a new lining using the same skirt pattern and sewed it by machine at the waist. Then just some hand sewing around the zipper and the vent and I was finished. Not hard at all.
The result is so much nicer to wear and it no longer clings or sags or otherwise misbehaves.