Wednesday, February 17, 2010

looking at Seoul through the eye of a seamstress

This city reminds me a little bit of NYC - there is a lot of hustle and bustle.  High-end shops (like Chanel) aren't hard to find - but if your taste leans towards a stretch sequin, you can pop into "Party Dress World".  There are many, many things here that you will not see in the US, though.  Laura had to drag me a way from a window of a shirtmaker's storefront.  On display were hundreds of neatly arranged shirtings in every possible color or stripe /pattern and oh.they.looked.EXQUISITE !  I just wanted to pet the fabrics!

Since I have internet in my hotel room, it will be easy for me to blog when we visit Dongdaemun, or any other places that interest sewists.

In the meantime, for my friends and family curious about my non-sewing fun in Korea, check out my daughter's blog.
(disclaimer:  I am not really a very mature or cultured person like I pretend.  And my daughter... well, the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree...  OK, you were warned.)

one more thing...

I love Korean Air flight attendants uniforms (designed by Italian designer GianFranco Ferre).  They have a complete mix & match wardrobe and every possible combination is a winner.  (A real SWAP, I tell you!)  They had more variety than you see in these pics.  There were several different styles of blouses, knit cardigans, an unlined 'military' style jacket, (and more!) mixed freely by the different women.  They removed the scarves and hair ribbons as soon as we got in the air and they got busy with work.


When the captain announces "Flight attendants, prepare for landing", I think that means "put the scarves and ribbons back on".  At first, I thought the scarves and ribbons were a little odd, but I was won over.  They rocked 'em. 

...ummm, if I start wearing a scarf or a ribbon like that, please let me know it only works on Korean Flight Attendants.  Thanks.
*more later!*

5 comments:

  1. Lovely post. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love reading your posts.
    The flight attendants uniforms are so smart looking.

    Will now check your daughters
    blog :)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness Robin, there are sooooo many people in that mall? is it.. and your stairwell video is just so fun. Really looks like you are having a great time with your daughter :) Look forward to day 3 :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am quite impressed that you are blogging from Korea!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, Im in Seoul and I was wondering if you were still in Korea? Im looking for someone to help me alter a dress.....

    if you are interested please e-mail me

    Cheers~!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.