Sunday, January 10, 2010

Sweater coat gets a road test


I wore my sweater coat today and we went to see The Young Victoria (and the costumes were superb!)
I only need to fasten one hook if I am wearing it over a skirt or pants.  I tried this over leggings and it looked best with all of the hooks done.  I do want to sew some "skinny" pants and more narrow short skirts, too.

Because it is a sweater fabric, it hangs better if I wear it over wovens.  If you know me, you recognize this skirt sewn from Roberto Cavalli fabric a couple years ago.  In fact everything except the leggings were sewn by me!  That is a great feeling.  I do need to alter that skirt, though.  I've lost a bit of weight and it needs to be narrowed and shortened (today I wore it with the waistband rolled over just like I wore my skirts in high school).

No sewing for me this weekend, I am taking a break from other hard work.  Yesterday I took a machine mastery class at Bear's Paw and I met some really fun women.  In fact I had a LOT in common with one woman who is my vintage who also majored in music, works in IT now (with SAP, too!!) and has a daughter who graduated from SMCM.  It was really fun.  There are 6 classes in all and I will take as many as I can, just for the fun of hanging out with other sewing fans.  In fact, they were also having a Bernina My Label class while we were there for the machine mastery class.  I was wearing the jacket I sewed based on the BML Three Quarter Length Coat.    I really enjoyed sharing it with them and meeting new people. 
I also heard a story on the radio about how poorly Baltimore is regarded around the world because of the image portrayed on  The Wire.
Well, I love it.  Baltimore is a great city.
*Happy Sewing*

19 comments:

  1. That is really pretty, and I love the hooks you used for the closure... I know you probably posted this already, but what is the fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it so much fun to go out wearing just clothes you made? ;-)

    the coat looks sooo pretty- the trim on the front gives it a really cute touch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robin - so cute! I feel like leggings and your tall boots would look super hot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sweatercoat looks great on you! And I'm jealous of the classes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sweater coat looks great on you. I really like the hooks too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a terrific sweater/coat. It looks very nice on you. I loved taking machine classes at my Bernina dealer. One day, out of the blue, they closed. And I was sad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was asked today if I would consider leaving Baltimore. My answer was a very easy, no.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look great! Your pieces all work well together.
    I really like your Roberto Cavalli fabric. I've looked for some and it is almost impossible to find.
    Your classes sound great. It's always nice to meet nice people :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your jacket looks great and I love the fabric of the skirt peaking out! I had wondered if you were going to do all those hooks each time you wore it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There used to be a Bear's Paw fabrics around the corner from my house but it closed a couple of years back. I bought my Bernina there and had fun in the machine instruction classes and the quilting classes (they never offered clothing construction).

    Your outfit looks great on you! I love it when everything I wear is made by me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! Looks very chic and the skirt (what I can see of it!) is a great fabric, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think Baltimore is great too. Now NJ is getting a bad rap because of that silly show, "Jersey Shore." My area gets negatively stereotyped all the time too.

    Love the coat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that outfit. I have some paisley fabric I bought in slavish imitation of your skirt- but it is still folded in the cupboard!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your sweater coat looks great!
    I enjoy classes at Bears Paw also, they are a lot of fun as well as instructional. I am embarrassed to say that I purchased Bernina My Label a couple of years ago and have yet to get my measurements done and try it. Hopefully I can get someone to measure me soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is really cute. I think it will go great with skinny pants/leggings, too. I am on a mission to find nice sweater knit fabric. Yours looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The sweater coat is ultra cute and perfect for a afternoon movie. You must feel awfully about rolling the waistband of your skirt. I wish it were me. ;-) Class sounds like loads of fun sewing and sharing stories with people who have common interests.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.