Monday, December 14, 2009

progress report: Holiday Sewing

Progress!  I got the collar stand and the collar on this weekend.  Since I drafted these pattern pieces, it was a relief to see that they worked.  I don't do a lot of pattern drafting, but when I took lessons from Sarah Veblen, we worked on shirts and she showed me how to measure and create the pattern pieces needed.

Also, I decided that wool against the neck might not feel so great, so I lined with a heavy weight rayon (I love the stuff I get from Atlanta Thread)

All in all, a very satisfying project.  It is taking longer than I expected because every one of these seams needed some form of hand sewing or basting.  Wool moves around and I wanted it to look as close to RTW as I could get it.

All right!  The plackets and sleeves will happen next weekend, then bring on Christmas!
*happy sewing*

11 comments:

  1. Well, the hand sewing pays off because that is absolutely gorgeous, and I love the rayon lining. Some of my DH's shirts use that technique and those are the ones he most likes to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely paid off; it's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is beautiful work, looks better than RTW. Can't wait to see the sleeves and plackets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto to above--that is beautiful sewing. Sew on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! You do mean very expensive rtw, don't you? As this looks like much like a very expensive shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ESTAFA AUTOMOTRIZ MEXICO!

    http://pedromillan.blogspot.com/

    PELIGROSISIMO AMIGOS MEXICANOS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this shirt looks wonderful even in a half finished stage. Your top stitching is perfect. The recipient is going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This shirt looks like it's coming along beautifully - your work looks perfect! I love the idea of lining with rayon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is beautiful work, looks better than RTW.
    Make website india

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.