Sunday, December 20, 2009

Daniel's shirt is finished (yay!)

I sewed all.day.long yesterday because, well, I am almost out of time!  And I am so very pleased with this shirt.  My sewing area is all clean and tidy so I can move on to one more sewing project. 

I have sewn with wool many times and I expected this to be a weekend project.  It took more than twice as long as I expected.  Wool flannel behaves a little differently than I expected.  Has this happened to you?  Or was I just in a clumsy phase?

I had to baste almost every seam by hand before machine stitching.  I am a little vain about my manual dexterity, so this was a little surprising to me.
In fact my first try at sleeve plackets ended in the trash can.  And I have done that a zillion times with cotton shirting.  For my 2nd try, I added a seam to the sleeve so the placket was incorporated in the seam.  Worked like a charm.


So you might think this would generate some frustration, but no - not at all.  This fabric was just so nice to handle that the project was a pleasure from beginning to end.  Plus I learned new things and that is always nice. 
There is one more person on my list and I have a jolly good present planned for him.  I thought I'd sew him a corduroy shirt, but with limited time remaining, I am going down a different path.  I am pretty psyched about it and I will post when I have pictures.
*Happy Sewing*

9 comments:

  1. Congrats! Very nice looking shirt. You may have just inspired me to sew Christmas gifts next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful shirt! I'm sure he will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a beautiful shirt. I keep getting the urge to sew a shirt, and then I sew something else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a fabulous shirt. I love the shaped back yoke and the tidy plackets. Lucky Daniel.
    Your sewing room is so tidy it is scary. I will not be showing you mine! I suppose you can always find your scissors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful shirt. Your sewing is very professional. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a fantastic job on this shirt. He will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Daniel will be pleased with this. The fall of the fabric looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo