Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Sewing Expo!

On Saturday, we headed down to Virginia to the Dulles Expo Center in Chantilly. I wanted to stop by and meet Jennifer Stern because I admire her work. And I want to sew her jeans pattern.
Here we are!
I wish I had taken more pictures!! There was this amazing jean skirt that had all kinds of gorgeous embroidery all over it and lots of neat details, like a leather binding at the waist and godets with little tucks in them. Just beautiful. And she also had a pair of jeans made out of Amy Butler fabric that had been FMQ'd to denim - wow. It was the coolest thing. I think I'd like to make a jacket like that.
I did not buy too much. Just a few odds & ends. And a super piece of faux shearling wool. I truly loved all the styles in the September BWOF, and those designs were not my usual fare. It must have been a nostalgia thing for me. I had a vest like that when I was a teenager. I think those Bohemian, folksy things remind me of carefree youth. But now that I work in a casual environment, heck I can wear whatever I want!

It was a memorable, lovely weekend.
*Happy Sewing*

8 comments:

  1. It sure was! I was there all three days! There were more vendors this year--I was an "Ambassador" so I didn't get to see many people other than the students that attended the class that I assisted in. I bought a few pieces of Afro-centric fabric (fat quarters and Mud cloth) and some much need stabilizers from Floriani. Can't wait til next year. I checked out J Stern's booth as well, she had some nice samples on display.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great time, JStern does have very good patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robin: I may be really dense this morning (I overslept and am groggy), but FMQ'd? Free-Motion Quilted?

    It sounds like fun. I must make an effort to go to Worcester's in teh spring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I now have my J Stern jeans pattern and the khaki pants pattern,as well as both her top patterns,(& hobo bag) so if all goes well, I plan on having a J stern weekend :)
    So nice that you got to meet her and sounds like she has some pretty awesome garments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Betsy, I used "FMQ" to mean Free Motion Quilting. She attached a very cute print cotton to denim using free motion quilting.
    It made a very interesting effect. Very appealing and attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't tried J. Stern Designs yet - maybe I need to order one of those next! (Like I need ANOTHER pattern or project!!)
    Sounds like you had a really fun time. I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you are totally inspired! Make some great things!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Robin--It was so nice to meet you too! (cute pic!) I would be more than happy to post some pictures of the denim skirt...on jsterndesigns... and I'll put a link over to you so everyone can meet you too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.