Friday, October 16, 2009

ok, so I think I know what not to wear, but ...

I need more help to know what to wear.  And I don't think Stacy and Clinton are coming to my house any time soon.  And let's face it, they do make people cry.

There are lots of books out there- the only problem being I would need to buy them and study them and apply the concepts to myself.  That equates to time and money that I am not willing to part with.

It is bad enough to shop for clothes and feel overwhelmed with choices.  Wouldn't you think it should be easier if I can sew whatever I want?  I thought so, but .. factor in how many fabrics are available and whether or not I can find appropriate notion and it becomes daunting.  After all, it takes at least 5 hours just for a simple garment.  We won't discuss what I have spent on machines, fabrics, notions and gadgets. (those were necessary)
I found a wonderful solution to my style dilemma (and I bow down to those of you who style yourselves so well; there are a LOT of you out there!)

Having avidly followed Imogen Lamport's blog since the first time I saw it, the light bulb came on when I saw her post with this style board for a capsule contest.  I sent her an email asking, "can I pay you a consulting fee to make a style board for me?  Planning what to sew is making my head hurt!"

The answer was yes, and the dear lady did not just give me a fish, so to speak, she sent me a 14 page Style Guide on How to Fish  :) !
I didn't just get a style board, I got personalized advice on everything from eyeglasses to fabric choices to advice on balancing body proportions.  It was reasonably priced and worth every penny.

You know what this means, don't you?  More crafty fun!  I need necklaces and scarves at my neck & chest area.  I want to learn how to knit!  Cute fringy scarves!  And I already have lots of beads and tools, so I can make necklaces!!

... all the knitting classes seem to be on Sundays ... meh... unless Howie wants to knit, that's out.  Sundays are for couple time... I am rambling now..... 
Maybe a weeknight visit to mom is in order.  She can do anything.  I think I better learn needlepoint, too.
OK,  I'll stop now.  That's enough about me. 
...
...
So, what do you think of me?
JUST KIDDING!

Have a great crafty weekend.  It's raining here, so fortunately we have plans to hit a restaurant and hubster is on the hunt for a new car for me.  You don't need good weather to test drive cars!
*make it crafty!*

9 comments:

  1. I think you're great. I always visit your blog to seek some inspiration. I thought I was the only one with this dilemma. I've got a lot of fabric, patterns, etc. and yet I have a hard time creating a cohesive wardrobe. People come to me for advice! My style tends to be eclectic at best. Meaning, I throw on few things, fasten it with accessories and some how it works. But, I would love a truly workable wardrobe. I sew something to suit my mood, mostly. I've got "squirrel" mentally. Sewing ADHD is most definitely cannot be treated with the purchase of more fabric and patterns. LOL. Maybe I should invest in Imogen's services. Thank you so much for this tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool!
    you should try knitting some ruffled scarfs, too- they look so cute. i wish i knew how to knit, i love the one ann taylor has but it's pretty $$ for a scarf (i think this links to their ruffled scarf)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wendy that is so cute! And it can be sewn. That one is wool but I's rather wear silk, so good to know.

    hey RiAnge, thanks for stopping by! Nice to hear from another Marylander.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous idea. I love Imogen's blog but would never have the courage to do that. At the same time I understand where you are coming from because I have no idea how to start sewing the things I want to wear despite having all the materials at hand. I'm still afraid to spend a lot of time making something that is wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, ever since I started reading her blog I've been wondering about that very same thing. So glad you were brave enough ask...now maybe I'll jump on that wagon. 'Cause I feel the same as you - what I want to see myself in isn't always what I should be seen in

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea, thanks for the information. I can't wait to see what you sew and craft for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh Robin, that is SO exciting! I can see why you're bubbling.
    Oh, I want to know more. Specifics, what did she say will work for you? And whooot!, another potential knitter. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You will have to tell us more about what she said! Once you learn the types of clothing that look good on you, you will always look nice!
    It amazes me in stores when women try on outfits that look horrid and the sales ladies tell them the items look nice. If they would just be truthful and lead women to items that are more flattering, the women would be much happier in the long run. That would lead to repeat customers!
    Okay, I am climbing off the soapbox before I go further!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been following her blog and like her ideas. Figuring out what to sew can be so frustrating. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I like making my own jewelry so I can coordinate it with what I am sewing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.