Sunday, October 25, 2009

More Body Proportions


OK, so what else can be said about body proportions?

Tape some paper on the wall. I used adding machine tape, which I keep on hand to use under the presser foot in sticky fabric emergencies.  Any kind of paper will be fine- you just need a place to mark your various heights.  Start with the top of your head and record the number of inches or centimeters in total. 
Then find your leg break point.  The leg point divides the body in half.  It occurs where the leg moves to bend away from the hip. When marked as a horizontal line, it will be above the crotch line. 
Mark the paper. You can take it down later and measure the distances.
 
Mark the mid knee and the bust point
Divide your total height by 4.  Compare those to the actual measurements of your quadrants.

In my particular example, I am not surprised to learn that I carry height in the upper chest, shoulders and neck.  My upper quadrant is 21" tall, which is quite a lot taller than Michaelangelo thought perfect (17.25").

That means the upper chest is a great place for me to add visual interest - I think of it as my blank canvas waiting for creatitivity.  Scarves, interesing necklines, necklaces - all good.
OK, blogger is acting finicky, so if the formatting is all ugly, I will come back later and fix 'er up.
Happy Sewing!

19 comments:

  1. This is amazing. Thank you so much for sharing! Now I have to go find free wall space in my apartment and try to do this myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really have to do this too, although I've kind of done, just not written down the actual variances. I think I am afraid that all my worst suspicions will be confirmed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent visual illustrations.
    This is all very helpful information.
    Thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great advice but I'm not sure I want to compare myself to the standard - the results could be devastating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for taking the time to show us this. It's really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Robin! I've been wondering how I was going to collect this info and your demonstrations have been a big help.
    Martha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for the visual tutorial! It's been many years since I've tried this and I really didn't understand what I was doing back then.

    By the way, love that first photo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Robin

    This is really interesting and a very easy way to get an understanding of your body proportions. Thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is an interesting excercise to do. When I did mine I discovered I am "petite" in my body but long in my legs. It really explains too the type of alterations you might need. I also found I need a sloping shoulder adjustment. If only we all did this exercise before we started on fitting...how much easier life would have been..lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is SO interesting - thanks for the excellent lesson. Hilarious photos, love your sense of humour!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the photos!!! I did the 8-segment version this weekend, just did the 4-part one now. I'm a bit long in the first quadrant, super-short in the 2nd (particularly navel to leg break - only 4 3/8"!), just about to the 'standard' in the 3rd quadrant and quite a bit longer in the lower leg! Thanks for sharing this -it got me to do something I'd been meaning to do for quite a while-

    therese

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, you prompted me to finally do mine. I blogged about it today, referenced you, and stole one of your titles too.

    Thank you so much for forcing me to take action.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is totally fascinating - I should try this some time. Although, I'm pretty sure I know where the disproportions are. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  14. First of all, I am most impressed that you can get your body in that position!! I don't think I could get my leg up and out like that without propping it on something!
    Very interesting measurement information!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great post! Thanks for sharing. I'll have to try this sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cool, thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. In my experience, the 'standard' is never (or very rarely) found - humans are way to interesting to be standard!

    it is what makes us different makes us interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Robin, I did this today, you continue to inspire...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you Elizabeth!! Hope you don't venture into the Croquis Danger Zone :)

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.