Monday, July 27, 2009

quick summer dress

I used my tank top pattern to make a summer dress. My usual method of finished the edge is turn over 3/8" and stitch with coverhem. This fabric was too heavy. The neckline started pulling out of shape immediately.

I stabilized the edge with elastic. I stretched the elastic just a little bit as I zig-zagged it to the edge.

Then I turned it over and top-stitched with the coverhem machine. The dress feels very secure now.

I can just keep sewing smaller & tighter garments and call them athetic wear. That's all there is to it, isn't there? I think so!
~!* It's HOT here! *!~


17 comments:

  1. That's a very cool, summery dress. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a great summer project, I need a couple of easy makes like that I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great dress - love the fabric too! Isn't it great to have some quick and easy makes sometimes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great dress - love the fabric too! Isn't it great to have some quick and easy makes sometimes?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! Great idea and that fabric is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your dress looks so pretty and comfortable, what a great use of your tank pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very nice dress. Love the pattern on it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very stylish and breezy looking. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't having an easy comfortable dress the best? Yours looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great looking dress Robin, looks comfortable and chic. BTW you have inspired me on the bra sewing front. I think we are entering our knit stage.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pattern and fabric of this dress both are perfect... You made lovely summer dress!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The dress is very cute! I can see a series of them to battle the heat!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.