Here is what I sewed last weekend. I wore it several times this week, and let me tell you: This is a game changer! I am serious. This may be the only area where I actually can save money by sewing. This cost me about $10 to sew.
My sample (this little number below) cost $80 if I recall correctly. Hey, when you want a good fit and your shape deviates from the standard, well, you are going to shop in a high end specialty store and it will cost you.
Yes, I took it apart so I could make a pattern. I used a Kwik Sew pattern to help me determing grain lines and for the instructions. But I had to make my own pattern, to make sure it would fit. If I wanted to, I could sew this back together. All you have to do is butt the foam pieces together and re-attach the pieces with a zig-zag stitch. Once you cover the cup with the nice pretty stretchy fabric, those seams won't show. And yes, you can buy foam if that is your preference.
And here is the back. I actually copied the back from a different example (which I did NOT cut up- I just traced it onto paper). So my new version is a frankenpattern - my favorite kind of pattern!
I will be very honest - I cursed my way through this project. But it's only because the techniques were so new to me and I had to stop and think so much. I gave up on pinning and I basted every seam first. Still, it only took a few hours. I used a tutorial found on Sigrid's blog and that helped a lot.
The minute it was finished, and especially when it was so comfortable to wear, I rejoiced. I will need to buy a good thorough book and I am leaning towards this one by Beverly Johnson.
I have enjoyed this sewing - what a great challenge and wonderful results. But I am bashful to post much more than this.
OK back to stuff that is suitable for public consumption!