Sunday, May 17, 2009

I HAD to sew this fabric!

Last weekend, this gorgeous red print hollared at me, "Sew me! Sew me!" I bought this a couple years ago at G Street when my ability to sew a well-fitting garment was not yet reliable.
I think I avoided cutting this because it would have broken my heart to ruin it.

But now I have a killer TNT shirt pattern and that's what I used to whip this up. The fabric is a woven with a lot of lycra in it, so it's got a stiff hand. Also, it does not ease well. So, I was smart to wait until I had the chops for it. It was a little too bulky to use on the collar, collar stand and cuffs, so I stole a little bit of white muslin from my quilt project.

And hey guess what?! If you press and steam the fusible interfacing for a really long time, it adheres well!! Ha! I have read that so many times and I yet my impatience persists. Until this time, that is. Finally, no bubbles on my facings. An old dog can learn a new trick.

I used the coverhem to hem this- just because it was set up and I love that machine so much.
And for the cuffs, I cut them smaller and set them in as you can see - no need for a buttonhole this way. yummy. I love this fabric!
Happy Sewing!

12 comments:

  1. You did such a great job. It looks beautiful. I love the print and color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty blouse and I like the cuff changes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous blouse. I love the colour and your inner collar stand looks very smart

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally understand why you love that fabric. It's a great looking blouse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shirt. Looks very professional. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! I bet it looks great on you with your colouring.

    I hear you about waiting for the interfacing to adhere properly - it's just so boring standing there, holding the iron, for what feels like forever. Someday, I will have a professional press - oh, yes I will!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it fun to have a piece of fabric scream at you. Well, it's fun if you know how you want to do it. I have a couple of pieces screaming at me right now, only haven't bonded yet with a design for them - now that's frustrating - especially now that I have a little time here to sew! Grrrrrr!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was a beautiful piece of fabric that made up into a beautiful shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. No joke! Love that red! It makes a gorgeous shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The backburner was worth it for this fabric - it is beautiful and deserved skills that made it wearable. Great blouse!! (and I especially love that little white detail ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all your details. Aren't they the fun part, and the reason why we sew? Nice job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo