Sunday, April 5, 2009

what I got for my birthday ;)

For my birthday, I usually like a dinner date where we dress up and go out to a fancy restaurant. I usually sew something pretty to wear (of course). This year I asked for this:
I am not a quilter- I don't have the natural desire to design and execute something artistic, I am really just a homemaker who wants to make something pretty. This appeals to me because everything is already figured out, even all the pretty little fabrics.This book, Last Minute Patchwork & Quilted Gifts by Joelle Overson, has quite a few other projects that appeal to me. I love her aesthetic!! For example, this quilt. Sooo pretty.
And these pillows - sharp.

And this quilt. I love it.
I am not entirely sure I would give any of these as gifts. Well - if I was 100% sure that the recipient would truly like it, then I would.

Well, in other news, I have a couple projects underway. The glue is drying on the battens of the roman shades! yay! This has been quite an undertaking and I will share the whole thing with you in a single post, so you can see how it all came together.

And, in honor of my weight loss, I put my new measurements into Bernina My Label, printed and sewed the tunic. Perfect fit, oh my goodness, I love that software! So now I can update my TNT's.

Coming next, my sister agrees to be my fitting guinea pig. She is allowing me to photograph and blog the process of fitting a basic bodice. I think I will use Wild Ginger Pattern Master Boutique for that. Once she has a basic block, it can be used to fit any commercial pattern. Someone asked me, "oh does your sister sew?". Um, I didn't really ask. We didn't get that far in the conversation. I know she CAN run a sewing machine. I wonder if she will be willing to be my Mo Rocca. hee hee

11 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!
    Those quilts are very nice, and the fabric is awesome! Great gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your weight loss. And, Happy Birthday.

    Pretty fabric for a pretty quilt. Taht looks like a nice book

    You have two pattern drafting programs? Wow. do you prefer one over the other? I should research them. Do you draft most of your own patterns, or do you use commercial equally?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday and Happy Skinnier day. I like your BD gift. I've gotten into some quilting a little, lately (since I bought an embroidery machine - whatever), these were some nice ideas. I really like the top quilt you posted. Where did you go for dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful birthday present! Loving the pics from the book...and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the birthday wishes! We skipped the fancy restaurant this year (I asked for a home-cooked meal and a stack'o'fabric).

    Gwen, yes I like to play computer games. My games make patterns :)
    I haven't spent as much time on Pattern Master Boutique, so it's time to experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, i loooove the colorwheel quilt. I find quilting so relaxing and love the aesthetic like you. Happy Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool gift! Happy Birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday and such nice happy fabrics, perfect gift to get and great ideas for gifts to give,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday! Cool books and that quilt is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday! I'm not a quilter, but I love the pink/orange striped pillows in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Was just at Purl a few weekends ago and saw the quilt in person, even more beautiful if that is possible. Love the fabrics, good luck with the quilting. I'm just starting myself -- inspired by the fabrics at Purl -- and love it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo