Friday, January 2, 2009

The shade is ready to hang , but ...

The shade project has been fun! The only hard part was in the beginning when I had first joined the pieces and I was struggling to handle 90" x 120" of Warm Windows brand quilting. Ugh!
Once I got it cut down to size (78" x 78") it was much easier to maneuver and I just took it one step at a time. Each individual step is easy, ergo, fun.
Here is what it looked like when I trimmed the excess seam allowance. I used Steam-A-Seam to press down the remaining layer and it left a pretty inconspicuous seam.

The Warm Windows instructions tell you to use a spray adhesive to attach your choice of fabric to the batting. I decided to sew it. I did use a lightweight spary adhesive (like quilters use) and I pinned it. I did all that by crawling around on the floor. Oh - and the instructions also tell you to cut your fabric to be just an inch or so bigger than the finshed shade. I did not trust that instruction at all.
I left it several inches larger, then sewed the quilting channels (sew just like constructing a Chanel - style jacket. Start in the middle and work your way out, and sew all seams in the same direction).

Ordinarily you'd really want a walking foot to sew this many layers together. But in this case, 4 of the 5 layers were already stitched. I sewed with the 5th layer bottom down (ie against the lower feed dogs) and it came out just great. My industrial machine just flew through it, so that part was extra fun.
I guess that if there is such a thing as a sewing geek, than I am a sewing geek. whatever!

OK, here is the dumb part. You know how velcro has a male side and a female side? There is the hook side and the loop side? Well, duh, I only bought strips of the loop side.
Archie pointed that out to me.
So here I am all ready to HANG MY SHADE and I am blogging instead about how I need to find a more velcro tape locally, or... sigh... go back to G Street AGAIN to buy what I need. (This is just like a DIY home repair where you spend more time at the Home Depot than anywhere else.)

Here is the quilting fabric I chose. I have no quilting experience. It sure is NICE working with stable cotton. I get the attraction of quilting now.

OK, off I go.....





























6 comments:

  1. Looking good. I can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I do know how buying only one half of the velcro feels! Bummer! Smart kitty, she likes the shade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been very busy!The shades seem like such a big project but they look great so far. Your sewing room looks great too :) Archie is making himself right at home :) he's such a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty cotton you chose! Nice neutral without being boring.
    The velcro thing is funny - sounds like something I would do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's probably too late for this trip, but unless you live closer to G Street than Home Depot, go to HD. They have velcro as well, But a trip to G Street is always good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh thanks Melodye, I never even thought of HD. I wound up going into JoAnn's and they had soemthing called Home Decorater's Velcro which is nice - it looks just a little nicer (smoother) than regular velcro. I even got in and out without waiting in long lines.
    The shade is up! Thanks all for your encouragement. I just need to figure out my lifting mechanism now (I am considering the rings after, all....)
    The good news is that it works amazingly well and it looks OK, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo