Sunday, January 11, 2009

shirts and shades

I made myself a pressing board. I used a pine table top (from IKEA) covered with a layer of cotton batting & topped off with a tight weave wool. I used a staple gun and it was fast. It just sits on top of my cutting table, and I was able to store away the ironing board & gained a little space back.
Also in view are the 2 BWOF shirts I am sewing. Since I can use white thread on both of them, I am sewing them simulataneously (and I hope it saves time!)



There is progress on the window shade, too.  Here is a pic showing the magnetic strip on the side which can be purchased at a hardware store and it can be cut to fit.

Another option is to paint the wall with magnetic paint.  Who knew that magnetic paint even exists?  It is a very dark gray, but it can be painted over with regular wall paint.  I read about it on a home improvement blog.

There are 3.5" magnetic strips hidden inside the casing of the blind. It works beautifully to create a nice seal. It can be painted lightly, which I plan to do. You could also use velcro instead of magnets. As soon as I have completed the hanging mechanism, I'll write up a through review /tutorial and post it to patternreview. I got lots of great advice on the discussion board to help me on this. A simple, though not necessarily easy, project.
And here is how the shade looks hanging close. It is cosy! It is rather plan, though and I may applique something on it (like maybe a tree branch with a bird on it? thinking on it...)
That's all my excitement right now.

Happy Sewing, my cyber sewing buddies.




6 comments:

  1. Congrats, Robin, on your new "baby"!!! I've also heard wonderful things about the Janome 6600, so you're going to love it, I'm sure.

    Glad you decided to keep the vintage Pfaff, tho. :)

    Have fun! Love your shade, too.

    Nedra

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shade looks really good and will make a big difference to your comfort. Looks like you have the perfect set up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you like your new Janome. I have the same new machine too - a Christmas present. I am having fun working it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll love the 6600! I've got 3 Janomes and they're all terrific (so is my dealer!).

    The shade is really nice and so is the set up you've got for sewing!

    Sorry if this is a duplicate comment, I think my first one is out is cyber-la-la land somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pressing board is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy your new machine. I've heard good things about it and if you love your dealer, that's a big plus.
    I have that blouse in my list too, so I am interested in seeing your review of it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.