Monday, December 29, 2008

whoa Nelly, the mojo has been kick-started

Happy Holidays to everyone- we enjoyed our multiple jam-packed boisterous celebrations. (I am still waiting for a certain someone to email family photographs from his cell phone...so to family readers, sorry about the lack of pictures!)

Immediately after Christmas, I was able to enjoy plentiful electricity (hence lighting) and I moved ahead on a few projects simultaneously. Do you remember this fantastic fabric I bought from Alexander Blank? The original plan was a duvet cover. Then came Archie. The fabric is recommended 'dry clean only' and, now I plan to use white bed linens that can be washed as often as I like (as often as Archie sheds).

This window has a northeastern exposure and a very unfortunate view of standing water on an adjacent roof. Yes, that should be repaired and it is the responsibility of another homeowner who is currently dealing with grave illness in the family. So, for now, I am just turning a blind eye. You can just barely see the new window shade (double honey-comb) and I have tacked up the fabric to see if I want to live with it as a Roman Shade. (click to see entire picture)
My answer is Yes!!! I do want to use this fabric as a Roman Shade. Furthermore, I have learned of a wonderful resource for Roman Shades. If you are interested, check out Terrell Designs. She has fantastic, thorough instructions on how to make a Roman Shade, pictures of beautiful shades made using custom quilts of her own design, supplies for sale and a blog.
And my sewing studio - yes another re-arrangement. Archie approves. Now I have all of my sewing in one place. I love the new shades!! And, you can't see it here, but there is a new light on the ceiling. I opted for circular compact flourescent bulbs to achieve maximum light with minimal heat. I can always change out that fixture to something prettier when it's time to sell. (click to see entire picture) [Yeah, I do need to learn how to size pictures better, etc etc. I need one of those "blogging for dummies" books.... hey wait, I have that book. hmmmm]
For the Roman Shade on the northeastern window, I will line it with a super cozy product called Warm Windows. They carry it at G Street Fabrics where I bought it yesterday. It is 60" wide and it has quilted channels that run horizontally. I needed 75" so I bought 4.5 yards. I cut that in half and sewed a seam into a channel, using my industrial machine. You really don't need the extra power of an industrial, but the workspace (the machine sits flush in a table) sure made it a LOT easier than my table top machine would have been.
I tacked up the WW lining and WOW, the impact can be felt immediately.
Yes the windows do need to be replaced, but I am digging in my heels on this. That adjacent roof needs to be repaired before I will even consider spending money on replacement windows.
I did some garment work, too. I loved sewing Christmas presents using an assembly-line approach, so I am tackling a few shirts in the same fashion.
I traced off BWOF 126 from December 2008:
And #107 from 01-2008:

The great thing about doing both at the same time is that I ran out of paper before I had traced the sleeve. Then I noticed I could use the same sleeve for both patterns. yay.
The styles are little different, so I'll just use the one I like better, which are the simple cuffs in #107. Style #126 uses doubled up French cuffs.
Off to the sewing machine!
Happy Sewing All~

1 comment:

  1. Our BWOF shirt tastes are so SIMILAR. Those are at the top of my shirt list.

    I also want to try Warm Windows. I have single pane replacement, but I'd put in central air before I replace my windows.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo