Sunday, December 7, 2008

This will make your eyes hurt...

I haven't done a lot of sewing in the last month and there are a few reasons why, not the least of which is the light. The sun is lower in the sky and it is brutal in the afternoon- then it's gone by 5pm or so. This gives you an idea of what I am dealing with. These curtains are a pretty wool tweed and they are unlined at the moment:
When I open the curtains to let some sun in, it pours in with a vengeance. To make matters worse, my current project is a pair of black pants.
You know it, black is not fun to sew on unless the lighting is excellent.

Here are the front pieces with interfacing applied and ready for zipper insertion. For a front fly zipper, I like using the instruction from Vogue 7608, which is out of print, but I bet Vogue 1034 uses the same method.
So, I did make some progress during my brief window of good light opportunity today.

My next project will NOT BE BLACK.
The paradox is that the boring things to sew are the thing I wear the most. Oh well!
Happy Sewing and I hope you have good light wherever you are-

5 comments:

  1. I have the same problem with my studio in the mornings! Very annoying at times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what we ended up doing too, putting the iron on it's own outlet and it works great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Black is so annoying to sew when the light is bad. And I can so relate to your sentence "the boring things to sew are the things I wear most". So true for me too. Still have a grey pair of pants to finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wood blinds slats are the lightest of all blinds and are generally the best bet for large windows. They are known to give a cozy feel to the room and provide the desired privacy, even while allowing enough sunlight to filter through the slats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robin,

    I love your sewing room, even though I know the lighting/electricity bothers you right now. My electrician said that irons pull a lot of elec. on the circuit.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.