Here it is- finished except for the beaded trim on the sides that need to be re-attached:
(cute style for maternity dress, eh?) I decreased the side seams by 1" at the armscye and 1.5" at the empire waist seam, tapering to 1" down to the hem. I completely de-constructed the bodice. The only part that made me nervous was the narrow hems. But I am very pleased with the results. Below you can see the narrow rolled hems (straight stitch on regular machine) and the rolled hem serge on the chiffon seam.
Oh- and I moved the spaghetti straps in the back to compensate for the rest of the fact that this is a size 16 dress cut down to fit a pretty tiny person. Right now they are held by safety pins until I confirm the length of the straps.
The lining and the dress are both made from the same fabric; a polyester crepe. The overlay is a polyester chiffon. The chiffon was originally finished with a French seam but I couldn't maneuver it to sew a French seam after the alteration. Instead, I used the serger set for a narrow rolled hem. It was my first time using a narrow rolled hem on the serger, and had I known it would work so well, I would have done all the hems that way. It was fast and easy and looks better than I expected.
To help me handle the fabric, I sprayed it with starch and it worked great to stiffen the fabric slightly and keep it from fraying. I pressed with a lot of steam and the starch seemed to just disappear afterwards.
I really didn't intend to load the pictures in this order (kinda reverse!) but I'm leaving it this way. This is just a little blogging on a little sewing. I bet Holly will let me take her picture when I take it back in to work. This week we have the party dress, a potluck lunch and decorating for Christmas. We are entering into competitive holiday decorating this year- it will be as gaudy as we can get it.
Now. I am glad that's finished, as I wish to sew something new to wear, for me.
Me, me, me.