Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Jeans for Dear Daughter

OK- here they are. Thes pants came together surprisingly fast when I sat down to sew. All that is left (obviously) is to attach the waistband and beltloops.
I don't know what these white spots are - just something in my photography haphazardness.
For the pockets I used a light blue cotton chambray, since that's all I had on hand. The thread looks brown on my monitor - again a quirk of my photography haphazardness :) Lighting DOES matter, doesn't it?
The zip fly was really the only tryly confusing part. I was too impatient to go out and read a good tutorial, so I used a pair of hubby's jeans to try & copy the construction. It did turn out to look very similar to RTW, but I could not repeat that if I tried! I just sewed by the seat of my pants and got lucky. Of course, I had enough common sense not to use a contrasting top stitch. The black on black hides all!
I say I am impatient, but the truth is that I learn best by doing it first myself, to see which part confuses me. THEN I read the tutorial and it will make sense. If I try to read first and just follow instructions? well, ummmm, I am not as good at that.

So NOW I am ready to try another pair with contrasting top stitching; maybe a pair for me (mom jeans, you know!)

And I finally FINISHED those draperies! Oh thank goodness. That was a lot of mental gyration. I had to make so many little decisions along the way. Sewing Home Dec is like anything else, the more you do it, the better your skills. I just don't do much, yet when I do- I seem to have grand ideas that are a bit beyond my ability. Despite that, I am pleased with the draperies. I'll post about them next.
Happy Sewing!




1 comment:

  1. Wow, you did a great job on these jeans. Nicely done :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo