Monday, October 6, 2008

Cosy Jacket for Fall - in progress

I have never bought fleece, but Jane M. has, and she's got great taste! When she and I got together for her stash sell-off, I procured a number of lovely pieces that are calling out to be sewn.
I am making myself a cosy jacket from berber Malden fleece. It is a brown /black /ivory tweed and it will coordinate with lots of things. The pattern is Bernina My Label 3/4 Length coat, which I shortened to hip length. I swapped out the collar with a simple stand-up collar so that I could recycle a zipper from a fomer fleece vest. I laid the zipper on top, just to make sure the length is right:

I am using directions for the zipper insertiong from this Jalie pattern:

This is the 2nd project in a row where I have used a BML pattern with instructions from another pattern company. Those Jalie instructions are succinct with good illustrations.

I was going to put pockets in this and I had 2 zippers salvaged from the afore-mentioned vest. Somehow I lost one of them. Grrr! You KNOW it will show up somewhere unexpected some day. Oh well :)
I fused lightweight interfacing to the neckline and shoulder seams. I am sewing with a 4-thread serger so this thing is coming together very quickly. I hope to show finished pictures soon!

Happy Sewing, friends-

4 comments:

  1. It does look like a very cosy fleece.I love sewing with fleece, and if it's a really good quality, the garment lasts "forever" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi.I'm enjoying your blog.The fleece jacket looks very stylish and cosy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll bet you end up being a fleece convert! If you do, be sure to try a robe or pajamas in "minky" fleece (available at Fabric.com).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo