Saturday, August 9, 2008

my current project

hmmm these might not be the greatest pictures... but here goes, anyway.
I got the urge for a trendy jacket. This particular burda pattern from the May issue of World of Fashion wants to be in my closet. (I like the top, too!)

I sewed a muslin- and made a few adjustments. The burda plus patterns fit me beautifully in the shoulders! (who knew? yay!!) I just cut a size 44, based on my measurements and voila. I also added a center back seam and vertical darts in the back took it in quite a bit in all three places at the waist. I never realized exactly how my body is shaped until I started bogging and posting pictures of my sewing and my quest for properly fitted clothing. So I highly recommend the liberal use of a digital camera, whether you keep it private or post it. Too bad I waited 51 years to see myself! Ha!Hee hee, this is NOT radioactive material. I altered the contrast in the photo editing software, to make the design a little more obvious. In addition to the shaping seams in the back, I removed almost all of the gathered peplum. All I want is a suggestion of volume - not a big fat tutu!

For muslin fabric I used some very pretty linen /cotton blend that I bought from Michael's during a sale. It was $6/yd and I bought quite a bit, planning to make curtains in the condo. Well, I washed it in hot water and dried this stuff on high heat -3 times!- and it still wrinkles like crazy.

You win some and you lose some!
I have devoted all of it to muslin fabric now.

Or, as my honey likes to call it, muslim. He's always asking me if I have sewn any Muslims lately. One of these days I am going to slip and say it, too, and I am sure it will be in a very non-politically-correct moment.
LOL !!
Happy sewing friends!

4 comments:

  1. Very cute jacket. And I like the top too. Yes taking photos sure does tell a story doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to have a boss with a marginal education, but wanted to appear important. He once told us, in a staff meeting, about the Akloids someone had one. Of course that's now our standard and I'm REALLY afraid I'll say it sometime. LOL.
    I like your jacket, nice changes. What are you making the real one out of? Now that you're done with the muslim?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your muslin. You're going to have a really nice jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice choices. Your jacket is going to be CUUUTTEE! The May 2008 issue has some really nice designs.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo