Sunday, August 24, 2008

effortless treasure hunting


Look what I found on the washington dc craigslist! It is labelled "Strommen Bruk Hamar – Product of Norway". It is a nice size- big enough to serve as an end table, but small enough to carry easily. My mom had something along these lines when I was young. It was really convenient. I need to stay off of craigslist, though- too many tempting machines out there.
Lotsa fun sewing htis weekend, but no photos :(
I sewed bolsters for Daniel to take with him to his apartment in Boston and I altered a polo shirt for Kelly. I used the instructions from Pamela's Patterns #103 T-Shirt Makeover.
I didn't use Pamela's pattern though, because I thought darts would look better. I used Vogue #8151 Today's Fit by Sandra Betzina. It was a little tricky because I had to work around the collar. And it was a little stressful because there was NOT ENOUGH fabric under the armpits!! I extended the pieces using little leftover scraps. Voila, gussets! This is a gusset.
So sad, no pics, as I was quite proud of my work. And I did it in 2 hours. The shirt was provided to her through work and she is required to wear it tomorrow, so I did have a moment of panic before I created the gussets.
Not everything was successful- I finally showed Laura the dress (that killed my mojo!) and she agreed - WADDER.
Now that I have done some sewing for other people, I think my mojo is coming back. I just need to finish the draperies. Panels are cut, washed and ready to assemble. Lotsa long seams in my future.
I hope you've had some sewing fun, or, any kind of fun.
Cheers!

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a busy but fun time sewing! Too bad no pictures.
    Your new sewing table/organiser looks like a wonderful find!It will be a great addition to your sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! My mother had one of those that she gave to me when I learned to sew (she didn't sew but for some reason had a machine and sewing basket.) It was wonderful - you'll love yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOve the sewing box. I'd totally forgotten about those. Hope your mojo returns soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your new sewing box looks just like mine! My husband bought it for me 20+ years ago, and I use it all the time. It has been refinished, required new screws (from all the opening/closing) but otherwise is still perfect. Hope you love yours as much as I love mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi i live in TX and i was wondering if you knew the date on that sewing box i have one like it but mine has black legs and black wooden hinges with a black handle iv had it for 5 years now and my mom and dad payed 15 Dollars on it an it had a lot of sewing stuff in it so if anyone can help my email is

    sailorwater@yahoo.com

    and if you need to see a pic of it i well try to put one on

    thanks for the help

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo