Sunday, March 30, 2008

Onward I sew! Red silk tunic for a Downtown Date

I have 2 more tops to finish and this red silk charmeuse was calling me. I picked up several silks during one of Ann's sales recently.  I searched the Nordstrom website for ideas and found this blue tunic. I had blue silk that color, but it went to a silk nighshirt meant to soothe DD's tonsillectomy last week.
Anyhoooooo, I just took my trusty tunic pattern and converted it to this tunic:
It was easy- I rotated the dart from the side to the center front. You can see it in the piece below- I cut along the legs of the dart and cut new legs where the gathering will go. Pull the pieces to join the former dart legs and voila. So, if it works, you will be the first to know!

So today I am really taking it easy because I am bereft at the loss of the Real Estate Fantasy I had going up until yesterday. DD is coming up to have dinner with the hubster and me- we are celebrating my birthday. You would not believe the amazing smells coming from the kitchen. I got to pick the menu and I chose the seafood etouffe he made for me the first time he cooked for me. He wooed me with food (and obviously, it worked!)
Boo hoo, sniffle... I am already plotting my next goal. I am seriously motivated to semi-retire within 10 years but I still want to work. I would love it if my next job could be sewing related. Teaching maybe? How about sewing machine repair?  Check this out!
LOL.... glamourous, isn't it!!

13 comments:

  1. That is going to be gorgeous! Which pattern did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you adrienne!! I used Bernina My Label - their tunic pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww shucks! LOL I don't have that lol. I can't wait to see it finished!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo..the colour of that silk is luscious!! I can't wait to see the finished product.

    Happy Birthday to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday!
    Your top will look wonderful. I love the colour of your fabric. I'm trying real hard to incorporate red into my wardrobe.
    Your venture into doing something with sewing sounds fun and familiar sounding as I'm thinking that way too. When I'm done with this job I also want to do something with sewing and my husband thought he could fix machines. We found a great source on line for e-books on repairing machines. We haven't had time to thoroughly read them but looking thru they do cover allot of information on all brands and industrial machines. The site is
    http://www.repairsewingmachine.com/
    The online purchasing and downloading was very painless :)
    If there was a place to take a hands on course here that would be better but these books will come in handy too.(Lots of books for $39.95)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday! What a gorgeous red silk - the tunic will definitely be date ready.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday, Robin!!!!
    That red silk is to die for

    ReplyDelete
  8. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ROBIN!!

    Love the red silk!

    Nedra

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for the birthday wishes! My sweety pie daughter came home to see me & we ate seafood etouffe & brownies made by DH. Yum.
    It's great to be another year older & wiser ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday - your dinner sounds delicious. I love the tunic in progress. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that silk is beautiful. Silk is one thing I have not tried yet. I'm a bit scared of it . . .

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with you! I'd love to retire early and do something sewing related. I would love to have a sewing school or online fabric store.

    BTW, I've nominated you for the excellent blog award.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.