Sunday, January 6, 2008

Burda 12-2007-129 coat finished!


This coat comes from the December issue of Burda World of Fashion magazine. It is style 129 in a size 44. I'd say it took me about 20 hours to make it. I think I will start keeping track of the time I spend on each garment.

This is a big deal for me- I have never sewn a coat and it intimidated me. Also, I have not done much tailoring. Nor have I mastered fitting. But I am very happy with this.
I used very lightweight fusible interfacing based on the instructions in the current issue of Threads Magazine. There is a great article written byAlison Page. Also, I added a lining. I just concocted my own way of getting it in there.

I'll get a lot of wear out of this coat. This and the paisley pencil skirt are the core of my SWAP. Next I will make a variety of solid colored blouses and knit tops that all match the skirt.
It feels so good to have this ready to wear now!







14 comments:

  1. looks great to me. love the seaming in the back shoulder area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My gosh, Robin, have you been productive! I love your coat, your blog is great and I'm sure your DH was thrilled with his 'new' chair. I'm personally in a 'recharge' phase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely coat, and can imagine having a lot of wear out of this one. The details in the back are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful coat, Robin! I'd love to see a photo of you wearing it if/when you have the time...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go Robin!!! I love the coat - wear it in good health!!!

    Melodye

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely coat. Great style and you have done a fab job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Robin, that coat is great! So great that I may just scarf it from you and use it for my sisters SWAP.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Robin, what a beautiful coat. You should be proud, you did a great job, and you have been busy...I had to look thru my Burda magazine, because I could not remember seeing this coat....I truly really like yours way better than the one in the Magazine. Excellent choice of fabric, very stylish :) Ann

    ReplyDelete
  9. Robin I want to add my kudos for the coat too! It is beautiful! What an amazing way to start your SWAP and the coat and skirt work so well together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just saw your coat! It's fantastic! I thought about making that one too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Robin - you are amazing.

    HELP!!! Can you tell me how to alter bought pants with a baggy seat? My rear is flat,and I have a huge stomach from being on prednisone. So I have to buy pants for the waist size, making the seat too big always. Pants always bag at the bottom of the seat with weird wrinkles, both horizontal and vertical. Is there any hope?

    Many thanks,
    chorner

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here is a link to a fitting adjustment for a flat seat
    http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php/topic,2106.0.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.